Friday, April 27, 2012

Lifesavers Bubblegum & Tootsie Roll Pops!

Today we're crafting with Lifesavers..
wheeee!
.........................................
First, we have these bubblegum & Tootsie Roll
filled lollipops..
..next, it's Flower Pops~Tootsie Roll Filled!
 I bought this huge bag of Lifesavers
 @ Wal-mart for $6.98..not a lot for all the 
fun I can have with these!
So many sugary options with which to fill your pops & candies! Almost any chewy candy would work. Hmmm..need to find some caramels..
Here's the star of the show..Lifesavers!
 To make the gum filled pops, I tried the old timey wrapped bubble gum, but it was just a bit too hard to insert the lollipop sticks, so I used this Hubba Bubba gum..so much softer & easier. I'm using the  "Mystery" flavor.
 You will need lollipop sticks...
..and non-stick spray. You will also need a mold for your pops. I used my Wilton Brownie Pop (silicone) mold pan. I would have loved to use real lollipop molds..but, i don't own any and didn't want to wait to make these till I had some! 
..candy wheel..
 I melted 8 Lifesavers in each mold..I think next time I'll try 9 or 10.
 Melt @ 300 degrees for 20-22 minutes.
 ...................................................
 Immediately press your candy tipped lollipop sticks into the melted Lifesavers. You can cover the pan with tin-foil making holes for the lollipop sticks. I did this with my first batch. I didn't with the second pan, I just straightened the sticks a couple of times as the candy gets thick fairly quickly. Cool for about 20 minutes. Then pressing from the bottom of the molds, they will pop right out. 
Okay..so I'm Laughing Out Loud 
@ these silly looking pops. 
I grew up in the "Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down" generation & these certainly fit that bill..*giggle giggle*.
So now I'm making the familiar "funny flower"
shape with the fondant cutters.
Place the Lifesavers on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes @ 300 degrees.
Upon removing baking sheet from oven, immediately press cutters into candy.*edit. Prepare the cutters with non-stick spray.* Next, place candy center in one flower pressing gently. Let cool for 2-3 minutes..until just cool enough to handle.
 No pics of the orange at this stage so we'll use the purple candy pics. Pick up the candy piece, and pressing the cutter completely through, 
release the flower.
Place one flower face side down. Press the
 Tootsie Roll tipped stick onto the candy. Now just place the other flower with the candy center
 face side up (pressing gently) onto the Tootsie Roll!
Pretty little candy flowers. :o)
Now..just for fun, melt 6 Lifesavers on a
 parchment lined baking sheet for 10 minutes
 in a 300 degree oven.
 Upon removing pan from oven, place a Tootsie Roll in the center of candy. Let cool for a couple of minutes. Candy will still be pretty warm as you begin rolling the candy "jelly roll style" till it starts to release from the paper. Pinch the ends together to resemble paper wrapped hard candies. Use a very sharp knife to trim off the still warm ends. 
 Voila..i think it's kinda cute. :o)
All done! 
 Sweet & Happy Creating
from
Sugartown Sweets!
Thank You
 for stopping by my blog today!

4 comments:

  1. Very creative ideas! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is an older post but THESE ARE AWESOME!!! I don't know if you watch you tube but if you like candy you have to check out LuckyPennyShop 's channel he makes cotton candy out of different ground hard candies like life savers and candy canes . great post & I am going to do these! If I make a youtube video on these I am going to link back to you so you can take all the credit.-Your sister in Christ Jenny G. - ShopBeautyMania on youtube

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty cool, gave me some great ideas! TY :)

    ReplyDelete